Hello, lovely readers!
Today I want to talk about the top 16 books that I want to read in 2016. The new year is upon us and I’ve been looking a lot at the books that I haven’t read yet on my shelves. I own a lot of books that I haven’t read yet, and I want to try to narrow down my number a bit this year; without focusing too much on the amount that I’m reading, if that’s possible. This list will contain only books that I own in physical copy already. This may be singular books, series, or just authors in general! If you’ve read any of these books/series let me know down below which I should start with! I’m going to try my best to not be repetitive with what I say about the things on this list, but it’s bound to happen!
- The Vampire Academy Series by Richelle Mead – I read the first book, Vampire Academy in 2014 and absolutely loved it! I really want to reread the first book and continue on with the series. I own all six books in the original Vampire Academy series, along with the first two books in the spin-off Bloodlines series.
- The Throne of Glass Series by Sarah J. Maas – In 2015, I read Throne of Glass and really, really enjoyed it. I would love to try and catch up with the series this year. There are currently four books out, and a collection of novellas and I own all of them. I’ve heard so many amazing things about this series, and that it gets better as you keep reading.
- The Falling Kingdoms Series by Morgan Rhodes – Yet another series in which I’ve read the first book! I need to get better about continuing on with series after I read the first book, especially when I love it! I loved Falling Kingdoms when I read it toward the end of 2014, and I would really love to catch up on this series this year. Again, I own all of the books and I’ve heard so many amazing things about the series.
- All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr – One of my favorite time periods to read about is World War II. Not because I’m an awful person who enjoys reading about mass genocide, but because the time period interests me. These stories tend to be so full of emotion, and heartbreaking. This novel was a big deal in the book community not that long ago, and I want to find out what all the commotion was about.
- Brandon Sanderson – As of right now, I only own two Brandon Sanderson novels. Steelheart and Firefight, books one and two of the Reckoner’s series. I really want to read these two novels, but I would also like to pick up some of his other works. Brandon Sanderson is one of those author’s that people are always raving about, and I want to find out if I will love his writing as much as everyone else does!
- The Lunar Chronicles by Marissa Meyer – Yet another series in which I’ve read the first book and stopped. I did, however, start reading the second book, Scarlet; but that was around the time my weird reading moods started. I got about a hundred pages in and then set it aside. Not because I wasn’t enjoying it, but just because I was in a weird reading mood. I would love to finish this series this year!
- Carry On by Rainbow Rowell – I’m actually reading this right now, so I will have the first of this list ticked off soon. I really loved the Baz and Simon bits from Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell, and I was so excited when she came out with Carry On. My friends finally found time to read it with me, so we’re reading it now and will be done sometime this week! I’m really loving this book so far. (We might actually be done by the time this post goes up.)
- Catalyst by Lydia Kang – I read the first book in this duology in 2014, and meant to get to this second book last year; but was unable to. I really enjoyed the first book, Control; and I cannot wait to find out what happens next.
- A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin – I’ve been trying to talk myself into reading this book for like a year and a half now. It’s extremely intimidating for me, because I’ve never read an adult high fantasy and I know there’s a ton to this series. I’m only listing this first book because I will be glad if I read it this year. I do have the audio book on Scribd, so I might just follow along while I listen to it; but I haven’t decided yet.
- Outlander by Diana Gabaldon – This is another giant book that I find intimidating. However, I have heard amazing things about this series and I do really love historical fiction. This might be one of those books that I have to read slowly. My only complaint is that I own it in mass market paperback, and I really hate reading mass market paperbacks. I’m tempted to buy them again in the bigger, floppy paperbacks before I start reading the series.
- Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo – Many of you probably know by now that I absolutely loved the Grisha trilogy by Leigh Bardugo. Six of Crows is the first book in a new duology set in the Grisha world. I loved the world so much, I’m excited we’re getting more books set in it. I’m also very intrigued by the premise of this novel. Who doesn’t love a heist?
- The Shatter Me Trilogy by Tahereh Mafi – Now, it hasn’t been that long since I read the first book, Shatter Me, so I won’t be rereading it. However, I really want to read the rest of this trilogy this year. I absolutely loved Tahereh’s writing in the first book, and in the novella that I read last year. I cannot wait to continue on with the story and find out how things progress.
- Jennifer L. Armentrout – I read Obsidian and Onyx by Jennifer L. Armentrout in 2014 and absolutely loved the story. I finally purchased the rest of the series at the end of 2015 and cannot wait to find out what happens next. I will probably reread those first two books first, though. I also want to pick up some more novels by her.
- The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver – I made a new friend last year who tells me I absolutely need to read this book. I managed to get my hands on a free copy, and I really do want to read it! I honestly don’t know much about it, other than I believe it’s historical fiction.
- The Mortal Instruments by Cassandra Clare – I’m about ten years behind on this series. I don’t have much to say about this that I haven’t already said about the other books. Other than I want to finally jump onto this bandwagon. I do not own all of the books yet though, so there is that.
- Holly Black – I just want to read literally anything by Holly Black. I own like three or four of her books, so I should really just get on that.
What books, series, or authors are you most wanting to read this year?